Friday, February 20, 2009

A New Crust Forms...

I noticed today that I can’t remember the last time I washed out my coffee mug. When I got back from Venezuela, I found it on the floor of my car, where it had undeniably sat for the better part of five months or so. It is a black Migo mug, one that I rescued from the lost and found box of the music building after nobody had claimed it for months. I don’t think I even washed it out really, past just swirling a little cold water around in it for two seconds, even in that initial revisit. Now, I don’t even do that; I just pick it up, dump out any residual liquid from the day before, and fill it up assuming the scalding liquid will probably kill anything anyway. I guess it probably does; but, that still doesn’t save me from the accumulating brown crust on the top. It’s almost to the point where the little slidey-thing that covers the hole for coffee moves a little stiff from the extra friction. Does anyone else do this; or, am I uniquely disgusting in my coffee habits?

Tomorrow I hope to get up to Cedar Falls to check out the second night of Josh Roseman at UNI for Tallcorn. Everyone is predicting significant snow and other wintry hazards however; so, we’ll see what happens. Either way, I’ll be up for the Ben Allison show on Monday night and am debating on whether to trek to Iowa City Tuesday night as well to see him again. Be currently unemployed makes the time commitment easily possible. On the flip side, the subsequent lack of money makes the travel and inevitable beer expenses problematic.

Recommended listening for the day:

Miquel Atwood-Ferguson – Suite for Ma Dukes
Juana Molina – Un Día
Eri Yamamoto - Duologue

1 comment:

rachel audrey said...

You are not alone. I have however, curbed my crusting habits significantly now that I'm not constantly running to one rehearsal or another, which makes me sad, but not as sad as the fact that I no longer NEED to drink inordinate amounts of coffee because my life is no longer that demanding...but I still drink it all anyway. Crust and all.

Seriously, check out the Fleetfoxes album.